Thursday, January 5, 2012

Indian Stew?

Ever notice how the best soup recipes start out "Saute chopped onion"? :-)
As soon as I started frying onions tonight every kid came up and asked "Whatcha making?" or "When's dinner?"

Tonight we had an Indian inspired stew (which we served with our experiment in making naan).

Indian Inspired Stew:


2 chopped onions
2 chopped carrots
4 cloves chopped garlic
~1" peeled and chopped ginger

Saute all together until tender

Add -

chunked meat (I used left over roast beast from New Years dinner)
~ 25 oz diced tomatoes
Thow in any nice big chunks of veggies you have around. ( I had two baggies full of baby carrots, broccoli, and snow peas, left over from a recent picnic.)

Spice to taste with:
ground fennel
curry
salt
pepper

Thin with water and cook down.

Notes and modifications:

I started dinner only an hour before we needed to eat. This would be better cooked down for half a day.

I used beef fat from another meal to saute the veggies.

If I had thought of it I would have used some beef bone broth instead of water to thin the broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment